How to lock computers when idle by using GPO
WidgetBucks - Trend Watch - WidgetBucks.com

How to lock computers when idle by using GPO

What I wanted to do is that, after my computer has been idle for 3 minutes, it should lock itself. How to achieve this is one of the trouble for me for almost two days. I have been digging around the net, but no answer. I tried to find myself in GPO (Group Policy Editor), but I don't find the option directly.

But many articles I read on the net pointed me that I can changed four options in GPO. But that is for screensaver. I tweak a bit to achieve what I want. Remember I have told you guys about how to create shortcut to lock computer. Well, I used that tweak.

Here are the steps that I took:

  • First go to Start -->> gpedit.msc
  • Go to User Configuration -->> Administrative Templates -->> Control Panel -->> Display



There are many options there, but you just need to change four of them as follow.



  • For screen saver option, just choose Enabled.
  • For screen saver executable, choose Enabled and then type "rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation"
  • For password protect the screen saver, choose Enabled.
  • For screen saver timeout, choose Enabled and then type the amount of time you want to lock your computer in seconds. (For example, if you want to lock your computer after three minutes of idle time, type 180)

That's it. Next time if you're away, you don't have to worry about some other would invade your computer.

BtoN's Tips : I have tested this on Vista and should work on Windows XP too. For screen saver timeout, if I set value less than 60, it won't work.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comments:

    On 3:44 PM Anonymous said...

    this is great! thanks